[R] search functions for use on vector of ordered data

Jonathan Gabris jonathan at k-m-p.nl
Thu Apr 28 11:11:33 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am looking for some search functions that deal with _ordered data_.
I suppose they already exist but I cannot find any reference of them.

Explanation:

I have a matrix, who's first column is ordered incrementally, with each
value unique and regularly spaced.
(timestamps of observations: number of miliseconds since begining).

I want to be able to find the the column index of the value X listed in
the matrix's first col.

The matrix is quite large, so the use of which(), or other similar
functions are not time efficient enough.

Thanks,

Regards,

Jonathan Gabris