[R] All other variables in upper scope arg for stepAIC

Paul Chatfield p.s.chatfield at reading.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 10:21:15 CEST 2010

Hi - I am trying to substitute for "the_other_y" in the code below.  I want
y2 and y3 to be there when i is 1, y1 and y3 to be there when i is 2 and y1
and y2 to be there when i is 3.  I'm sure it's to do with what format the
data should be in and I've tried alldata[,-i], but it fits all the columns
of alldata except i rather than each column one at a time.  I've tried
changing the data i.e. as.matrix or as.list but that's still not the right
format.  I'm sure it's a simple trick, but don't know how to search it out.
Any help on how to search this as well as the solution would be greatly
appreciated.

y1<-rnorm(20);y2<-rnorm(20);y3<-rnorm(20);alldata<-cbind(y1,y2,y3)

library(MASS)
for (i in 1:3)
{mod<-lm(get(paste("y", i, sep=""))~1)
stepAIC(mod, scope=list(lower=~1, upper=~the_other_y))}

Thanks

Paul