[R] density at particular values

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Nov 21 02:54:32 CET 2010

On Nov 20, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Shant Ch wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I want to use density function of R to compute the density at x(=0,
> say). But it
> is giving me the 5-number summary and mean of the data and densities
> at that
> point.
> I just want the densities at different values specified by me. Can
> anyone let me
> know how can I find that?

Here's what you should have done (even before posting):

?density
<Read the help page to see the structure of what density() returns.>
"Value
x   the n coordinates of the points where the density is estimated.

y   the estimated density values. These will be non-negative, but can
be zero."

Realize that the "specified by me" part is either going to be modified
to "pick an existing estimate near my specification" or that you will
need to approximate the value. So what is the actual problem (and the
actual data setup) ?

--
David.