[R] R article in forbes/ somewhat OT

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 16 17:20:17 CET 2010

> From: bogaso.christofer at gmail.com
> To: markleeds2 at gmail.com; r-help at r-project.org
> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:48:10 +0530
> Subject: Re: [R] R article in forbes
>
> Thanks Mark, for sharing such a great article. Really feeling proud that I
> am also part of that great community. BTW can anyone share the code on how
> to draw the picture displayed there (blur surface plot)?

In many cases, the problem is not the R code but actually
getting the data you need to make real-life decisions or form opinions.
I sent a link to one of my rants to the OP on this topic
but it is a bit political so I will spare the whole list.
I would mention however that many day-to-day uses of R
can be limited due to lack of good data in a computer
readable format- you see people posting here about scraping
stock quotes from human readable web pages but sometimes you need to do that with
data from government sources or they just cater to commercial
products. If you use R at home, you may want to take note
of requests from data sources on ideas about how they can optimize their
data delivery for your needs.