[R] What does LOESS stand for?

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Mon May 31 18:08:29 CEST 2010

On 31-May-10 15:52:56, David Winsemius wrote:
> On May 31, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Peter Neuhaus wrote:
>
>> Thanks a lot...
>>
>> ... makes it a bit difficult to explain, though...
>
> We drink no wine before its time. Somewhat like trying to explain
> splines to non-technical types:
>
> http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/splineducks/splineDucks.h
> tm
> --
> David.
>> Peter

Spline-ducks are sophisticated technology compared with what some
of us used to do in the 1960s. The spline was a long narrow strip
of springy metal. On the drawing-board, lay down the paper and plot
the points. Then tap in fairly sturdy "draper's" pins at the points.
Then lay the spline (on its edge) between the pins. Then (carefully)
draw by hand a curve along the line of the spline.

Even today, this could constitute a very easily grasped explanation
of splines for non-technical types!

Ted.

>> Quoting Joris Meys <jorismeys at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> This is the paper on which the loess algorithm is based in general:
>>> http://www.econ.pdx.edu/faculty/KPL/readings/cleveland88.pdf
>>>
>>> The explanation about the origin of the term LOESS is given on page
>>> 597.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Joris

> David Winsemius, MD