[R] How to install an archived version of a package in windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu May 27 10:46:41 CEST 2010

Nevil Amos wrote:
> How do I install an archived version of a package - in this case
> Geneland 3.1.5 in windows?
>
> The archived versions are available on CRAN and tar.gz.  I can downland
> this, but then the only option to install a local copy is
>  > utils:::menuInstallLocal()
> or install from local zip file in the console packages menu, this does
> not work wither with the downlaoded tar.gz, or if I unzip it and save
> all its contents as Genland_3.1.5.zip in the R/bin direcotry.
>
> What do I need to do?

The archived versions are source packages.  So you need to install the
tools to build from source (see the R Admin manual, or
http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/), then simply do

install.packages("<foo>.tar.gz", type="source", repos=NULL)

from within R, or

Rcmd INSTALL <foo>.tar.gz

from outside.

Duncan Murdoch