[R] passing a function as an argument using lazy loading

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Mar 14 15:43:36 CET 2010

On 10.03.2010 13:26, Mark Heckmann wrote:
> I have the following function that makes use of lazy loading.

I guess you mean *lazy evaluation* rather than *lazy loading* (as used
in loading functions or data from the package databases).

> foo <- function(x=2*y, y=x/2) cat(x,y)
>
> Now I want to be able to modify it like below:
>
> foo(y=x/3)

You really want to *modify* the list of formal arguments like that or do
you want to *call* it like that?

> Of course, this does not work as the object x is not known.

Right.

> Still I
> would like to be able to pass a function as an argument that is
> evaluated using lazy loading.

If you rephrase your question more exactly and give a more elaborated
example where you want to make use of it, we may be able to help, but I
do not want to answer based on speculations here.

Best,
Uwe Ligges