[R] Optimization problem with nonlinear constraint

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Mon Jul 26 17:44:27 CEST 2010

Hi Uli,

I am not sure if this is the problem that you really want to solve.  The
answer is the solution to the equation y = x * T^(x-1), provided a solution
exists.  There is no optimization involved here.  What is the real problem
that you are trying to solve?

If you want to solve a more meaningful constrained optimization problem, you
may want to try the "abalama" package which I just put on CRAN.  It can
optimize smooth nonlinear functions subject to linear and nonlinear equality
and inequality constraints.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/alabama/index.html

Let me know if you run into any problems using it.

Best,
Ravi.