[R] installing packages over ssh without X forwarding

petr at orbit.umbr.cas.cz petr at orbit.umbr.cas.cz
Fri Jul 9 13:37:29 CEST 2010

Hi,
Is it possible to install packages without the testing if installed
package can be loaded?
I need to install bunch of packages on multiple computers over ssh. Some
packages witch interact with X11 display cannot be installed in this way.
for example after:
> install.packages('cairoDevice',dep=T)
I get
(...)
*** installing help indices
** building package indices ...
** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'cairoDevice', details:
  call: fun(...)
  error: GDK display not found - please make sure X11 is running
ERROR: loading failed
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib64/R/library/cairoDevice’
* restoring previous ‘/usr/local/lib64/R/library/cairoDevice’

The downloaded packages are in
        ‘/tmp/Rtmpk1XxTl/downloaded_packages’
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Warning message:
In install.packages("cairoDevice", dep = T) :
  installation of package 'cairoDevice' had non-zero exit status

When I connect with remote computer using ssh -X root at nod1 to enable X11
forwarding then installation works without problems. This would however
require manually connect with each administred computer a do the
installation. cssh which I use now to install packages on multiple
computers does not enable X11 forwarding. I have also tested installation
using R CMD INSTALL with --no-test-load options but the packages are
loaded unsuccesfully anyway. So is it possible to turn of package testing?
Petr