[R] two questions for R beginners

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Feb 26 00:01:23 CET 2010

Patrick Burns wrote:

> * What were your biggest misconceptions or
> stumbling blocks to getting up and running
> with R?

R was the first scripting language that I *really* invested time in
learning.  Prior to R I had a few years experience programming in Fortran
and had worked on a few projects using Matlab.  Because most of my
programming experience was with Fortran, the toughest thing to get my head
around was definitely lexical scoping and that unlike Fortran subroutines, R
function results had to be assigned to something in order to persist outside
of the function.

Patrick Burns wrote:

> * What documents helped you the most in this
> initial phase?

Definitely the "An Introduction to R" manual that ships with the core
distribution.  It helped me translate my knowledge of programming concepts
to the R language very quickly.