[R] LaTeX/R/Sweave Problems

tudor tudor_bodea at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 20 05:09:39 CET 2010

Dear All:

For a few days now I have struggled with recreating a stable LaTeX/R/Sweave
environment on a new Windows XP SP3 machine.  Unfortunately it seems that I
ran out of good ideas and I would like your expert opinion on how I should
approach this task and be successful.  In essence, I installed (several
times) in this order the following: R2.10.1 (and then R 2.9.2), Adobe
Acrobat Reader 9 (and then Reader 8.2 and 7.0), MiKTex2.8, GhostScript8.64,
GhostGum with GSview 4.9 and the latest version of TeXnicCenter.  With all
versions of R, I appended the path to the R executables to the path
environmental variable.  To overcome the fact that the R installation had
spaces in the path, I just had the corresponding Sweave.sty in the folder
where my .Rnw and .tex files were located and used \usepackage{Sweave} in
the preamble of the .Rnw file. When I do not use Sweave everything seems to
work just fine.  The .Rnw files are sweaved in R just fine and then the
corresponding .pdf files are built correctly.  This changes dramatically
though when I call Sweave in the preamble of the .Rnw file.  As before, the
tex file is generated correctly but when I try to build the pdf file the
Reader issues an error message that states
[DocOpen("%bm.pdf")][FileOpen("%bm.pdf")] Cannot Execute the Command and
does not produce anything.  I found several online recommendations on how to
fix this problem but none worked.  Am I missing something obvious here?  Has
anyone experienced this before and found a fix?  Thank you so much.

Tudor