[R] split plot with aov

Penny B pennybilton at xnet.co.nz
Mon Feb 8 04:04:25 CET 2010

I have a factor SAMPLES which is at the lowest level (within) of a split plot
anova model  but this factor also appears in the ANOVA table at the block
level. This happens for unbalanced responses but not for balanced responses.
I would be grateful for an explanation of this.

The block error term is Day:Treatment:Temp and the within error term is
Day:Treatment:Temp:Samples.
Day is the main plot, Treatment the first split, Temp is within Treatment
and then Samples within Temp.

Thanks,
Penny B.