[R] splint / lint-like syntax checker for R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Feb 5 10:19:15 CET 2010

On 04/02/2010 7:33 PM, Mark Huberty wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> Does CRAN or someone similar make a splint / lint-like syntax checker
> for R? I realize that both ESS and the debug package and similar tools
> have debugging and error analysis features, but those appear to require
> running the code through the R buffer. I'd like something that did basic
> syntax and object-name verification for code that was to run in batch,
> as a precursor to doing trial runs. Apologies if this already exists and
> I missed it, but nothing showed up on Google, CRAN, or r-help that I
> could find.

The package check code does a lot of this.  It makes use of the
codetools package for some of the checks.

I don't know if anyone has packaged up the tests to work on a script
outside of a package; it seems like it would be easier to turn your
scripts into a package and turn off the tests you don't want.

Duncan Murdoch