[R] SAS and R on multiple operating systems

Roger DeAngelis(xlr82sas) rdeangel at amgen.com
Tue Apr 6 02:34:07 CEST 2010

Hi,

 You are absolutely correct about 32/64 and it appears to be a severe
penalty. But I think 32 to 32(win/unix) does not incur the penalty. There
are even more issues between mainframe and unix/windows. The 32 to 64 is a
big hit when querying data dictionaries that have a mixture of 32/64 bit SAS
objects.

As a side note,  I could reload the R workspace between batch submissions to
maintain consistent environments.

I do support quite a few statisticians and I try to get them to think more
in terms of R especially those that use IML, but unlike Frank I feel there
are several areas where SAS is the more logical solution. I think SAS(9.22)
is a little ahead of R in SVG graphics(the future) and graphic editors and
unlike Frank I don't think R and LaTex is more powerful than ods/tagsets and
SAS reporting/graph procedures. Imbeding graphic objects inside proc report
is powerful, see

http://homepage.mac.com/magdelina/.Public/met_may_103.rtf

And I know SAS  allows some merging of cells in proc report so arbitrary
objects, like graphs can be merged into proc report.

The pharma industry externals tend to be MS-Word and Excel, although final
FDA documents are usually pdf. So whatever I do I have to make my final
product look good in word. This can be a real challenge because of words
faulty import engines. I would have preferred postscript where R would be a
real contender.

I also remember that SAS won a recent graphics award and I think is was
competing against R.
I don't have the link and I hope I am correct.

see for some SAS graphics

http://robslink.com/SAS/Home.htm

The real strength of R is in the flexibilty of its statistical functions.
Sometimes SAS makes the wrong or illogical decisions with its canned
routines.