[R] RODBC problem

Data Analytics Corp. dataanalytics at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 24 18:23:19 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm attempting to use the RODBC package on Windows Vista to import an
excel spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet has three worksheets the last of
which is blank.  Following an example in Phil Spector's book (p. 34),
after creating a connection named con I did the following:

 > con
RODBC Connection 3
Details:
  case=nochange
  DBQ=c:\temp\test.xls
  DefaultDir=c:\temp
  Driver={Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls)}
  DriverId=790
  MaxBufferSize=2048
  PageTimeout=5
 > tbls <- sqlTables(con)
 > tbls
       TABLE_CAT TABLE_SCHEM TABLE_NAME   TABLE_TYPE REMARKS
1 c:\\temp\\test        <NA>    Sheet1$ SYSTEM TABLE    <NA>
2 c:\\temp\\test        <NA>    Sheet2$ SYSTEM TABLE    <NA>
3 c:\\temp\\test        <NA>    Sheet3$ SYSTEM TABLE    <NA>

Everything seems to be fine.  Then I did

 > qry <- paste("SELECT * FROM",  tbls$TABLE_NAME[1], sep = ' ')
 > qry
[1] "SELECT * FROM Sheet1$"
 > sqlQuery(con, qry)

and got the error message

[1] "42000 -3506 [Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] Syntax error in FROM
clause." "[RODBC] ERROR: Could not SQLExecDirect 'SELECT * FROM Sheet1$'"

Any advise as to why and how to fix it?  What's the syntax error that
I'm just not seeing?

Thanks,

Walt

--