[R] R console line-wrapping

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Sep 16 00:01:11 CEST 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 5:47 PM, Nick Matzke wrote:

> Hi all, a quick question I couldn't find the answer to in the usual
> places:
>
> Is there a way to turn off line-wrapping in the R console?  Or set
> the line width-before-wrapping manually?  Currently it looks like
> the console linewraps after about 70 characters, this occurs even if
> I increase the window size.
>
> (I want to output some simple tables to screen for students in a
> computer lab course)

?options
--------------
width:
controls the maximum number of columns on a line used in printing
vectors, matrices and arrays, and when filling by cat.
Columns are normally the same as characters except in CJK languages.
You may want to change this if you re-size the window that R is
running in. Valid values are 10...10000 with default normally 80. (The
limits on valid values are in file ‘Print.h’ and can be changed by re-
compiling R.) Some R consoles automatically change the value when they
are resized.

----------end help page info---------

> I am running R2.9, i.e. R.app, in Mac OS X.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT