[R] problems with re-loading exported data

Marion Dumas mariouka at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:11:05 CET 2009

Hello,
I have a data file originally as .mat file from matlab that I imported
in R using the R.matlab package (readMat). This loaded a list
containing amongst other things a 4x4 array of rainfall data that is
quite heavy (around 40 Mb, it took 10 minutes to load on my computer).
I tried to export it as R data file or simply a text file (using the
command write) to share this data with other R users. When I open it
in the text editor, I get a normal looking file with space-delimited
numerical values. However, when I try to to load the resulting output
file, I get the following error message:

Error: bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no
data loaded
In addition: Warning message:
file 'outrainfall' has magic number '0 0 0'
    Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated

I would really appreciate your help, as this is a rather  important
issue to clarify.
Thanks
Marion Dumas