[R] error message - unexpected input

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Oct 9 00:35:25 CEST 2009

Danielle Dandreaux wrote:
> I have been using R the past couple of years to run models on data we
> are collecting. I recently got a new computer and updated to a new
> version of R (2.60 -> 2.90). Since the update, I cannot get my syntax to
> run. I have tried copying the file it is looking for into many different
> directories to try and run it. In the last version, I found that it was
> easiest if the file was copied into the R program file folder. I have
> also tried changing the font the code is written in and turning off
> "smart quotes" in MS word. Additionally, I have right clicked on R and
> set myself as the only user on this computer to run this program. The
> syntax line that appears to be causing problems is:
> dataname="Igt2model.txt" and the error message is: Error: unexpected
> input in "dataname=""
>

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

That definitely looks like a problem with the quotes.  I would strongly
recommend against using MS Word as a text editor for this.  You'd be
better off using Notepad, or the built in script editor in R (both of
which are pretty feeble editors, but adequate), or a better one like
WinEdt, Tinn-R, Emacs, etc.

Duncan Murdoch