[R] Fancy quotes on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 6 17:02:32 CET 2009

On 11/6/2009 10:40 AM, James W. MacDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't use Windows as my primary OS anymore, so didn't notice this
> until recently. In R-2.10.0 under Windows useFancyQuotes is FALSE by
> default, but this doesn't seem to affect the rendering of (text) help pages.
>
> This is not a problem if I run via the Rgui or Rterm (via DOS prompt),
> as the help pages are rendered in a popup window that understands
> directional quotes. However, if I run under emacs/ESS, the help is
> rendered within emacs, which doesn't understand directional quotes, so
> any quoted text is surrounded by \221thetext\222, which is obviously
> difficult to read.
>
> Is there another setting that I am missing that affects the usage of
> directional quotes for the help pages?

I don't see this.  Are you sure you haven't got a typo somewhere?

When I run options("useFancyQuotes") in a new session, I see

 > options("useFancyQuotes")
$useFancyQuotes
[1] TRUE

and when I ask for help, I see help pages that respect that choice, e.g.

 > ?mean

gives ‘trim = 0’ in the description of x.  If I set

 > options(useFancyQuotes=FALSE)
 > ?mean

I see 'trim = 0'.

Maybe if there's no typo, it's emacs or ESS that's messing up somehow.

Duncan Murdoch