[R] Interaction plots as lines or bars?

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Thu May 28 08:25:58 CEST 2009

Michael Kubovy wrote:

> An editor has suggested that I use bar plots to capture an interaction
> of two 2-level factors and an interaction of a 2 by 3 factorial
> experiment. (It would seem that there's a fear that someone might try
> to interpolate between, e.g., 'male' and 'female'.) In general it
> seems to me that an interaction plot with lines is easier to read, and
> not likely to mislead. Does anyone know if and where this has been
> discussed?

Editors are paid by the ink.

I have never seen anything else than lines for such a plot. However, I once
was successful in using somewhat wider lines that looked barish. Which made
me believe that the "paid by the ink" is not too bad an analogy: editors
fear graphics that look too empty, so give them their black.  I am sure
Hadley will argue that this is the reason why ggplot2 by default has a gray
background.

Dieter