[R] How to google for R stuff?

Joshua Stults joshua.stults at gmail.com
Wed May 20 17:39:46 CEST 2009

I was having the same frustration so I made a Google custom search
engine for Open Math Tools:
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=015659631714008342946:wolsniqtrxc

It gives preferences to results from r-project.org, octave.org,
maxima.sourceforge.net, and the mailing list archives from those
projects.  It also has some other smaller pages that contain tutorials
for those tools.

It includes results from the broader web as well, so if there is a
highly ranked article from wikipedia or mathworld that will show up
too.

Here's a short write-up with example searches:
http://j-stults.blogspot.com/2009/05/open-math-tools-custom-search-engine.html

If any folks on the list out there have any suggestions or would like
to be a 'contributor' on it post a reply with a site to add to the
preference list , or click the 'volunteer to contribute' link on the
search engine homepage.

Good luck with your R searching.

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Kynn Jones <kynnjo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!  I'm new to R programming, though I've been programming in other
> languages for years.
>
> One thing I find most frustrating about R is how difficult it is to use
> Google (or any other search tool) to look for answers to my R-related
> questions.  With languages with even slightly more distinctive names like
> Perl, Java, Python, Matlab, OCaml, etc., usually including the name of the
> language in the query is enough to ensure that the top hits are relevant.
>  But this trick does not work for R, because the letter R appears by itself
> in so many pages, that the chaff overwhelms the wheat, so to speak.
>
> So I'm curious to learn what strategies R users have found to get around
> this annoyance.
>
> TIA!
>
> KJ

Joshua Stults