[R] JOB ....

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 19 15:59:40 CEST 2009

As you  may have seen this,

    j> Hello ~
    j> I'm recruiting for a hedge fund (type) business (based in London,
    j> England, UK) that are looking for good C++ programmers with preferably
    j> some experience in statistical modeling/programming/analysis.

 [..............]

    j> James Tobin

some may have wondered if this was ok.

Sending *one* such message to R-help has typically been
considered ok, if it was short (text-only), really R-related and
to the point, all which the above  job ad  did fulfill.

OTOH, on purpose we have provided the  R-SIG-jobs  mailing list,
just for the purpose of R-related job announcements.

However .... chose to not only send this to R-help and
R-SIG-jobs but to all possible R-SIG-* mailing lists that he
could "get in hands".
As overseer of all the R-* lists @r-project.org (or equivalently at
stat.math.ethz...ch), I'd like to clearly state that such "spam
all relevant lists" behavior is considered very impolite and
also misuse of the resources my employer (ETH Zurich) provides for
free.

Martin Maechler