[R] wireframe 3-D problems

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Sun May 17 08:16:42 CEST 2009

Xu Jun wrote:

> I am trying to graph a 3-D graph of simulated data for logit models using
> the powerful wireframe command, but I got stuck. Here are the codes:
>
> x <- seq(-4, 4, by=0.01)
>  y <- seq(-4, 4, by=0.01)
>  p <- 1/(1+exp(-0.12*x + 0.35*y))
>  mydata <- cbind(x, y, p)
>  require(lattice)
>  wireframe(p~x*y, data=mydata)
>
>  and I received the following message:
>
> Error in eval(substitute(groups), data, environment(formula)) :
>   numeric 'envir' arg not of length one
>
> Can anyone here point me to the right direction? Thanks!

Your x and y variables were only evaluated along a single line,
not over the entire grid (other solutions are possible using
outer() and rep() ...)

x <- seq(-4, 4, by=0.25)
y <- seq(-4, 4, by=0.25)
mydata <- expand.grid(x=x,y=y)
p <- 1/(1+exp(-0.12*mydata$x + 0.35*mydata$y))
mydata <- data.frame(x=mydata$x,y=mydata$y,p)
require(lattice)
wireframe(p~x*y, data=mydata)
## should play with "screen" argument, see ?panel.wireframe