[R] Optimization algorithm to be applied to S4 classes - specifically sparse matrices

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri May 15 18:29:47 CEST 2009

Dear Avraham:

	  For problems with many parameters to estimate, I highly recommend
Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus
(Springer).  This book includes numerous examples showing how to use the
"nlme" package.  The value of this book is greatly enhanced by the
availability of script files named, "ch01.R", "ch02.R", ... "ch08.R"
showing how to work virtually all the examples in the book.  These
script files are available in your local installation of R.  To find
them, enter the following at a commands prompt in R:

	   system.file('scripts', package='nlme')

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves

##################
Dear Doug, et al.:

      What would you recommend for analyzing a longitudinal abundance
survey of 22 species, when the species were not selected at random?  A
prominent scientist tried to tell me that mixed-effects modeling is
inappropriate in that case because the species were selected
purposefully not at random.

      My response is that even in that case, one should still use
mixed-effects modeling, because it will tend to produce more appropriate
estimates for the deviations of individual species from the average of
all species -- potentially much lower variance with slight bias -- than
naive ordinary least squares.  The estimated variance components will
not represent the between-species variance for the actual population of
all hypothetical species of the particular type, but will represent the
between-species variability in a hypothetical population from which the
selected species might be considered a random sample.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer Graves
p.s.  I appreciate very much Doug's comment on this.  I thought about
adding something like that to my reply but didn't feel I could afford
the time then.