[R] Using column length in plot gives error

MikSmith mike at hsm.org.uk
Fri May 15 17:59:13 CEST 2009

Hi

I'm trying to write a generic script for processing some data which finishes
off with some plots. Given Im never sure how many columns will be in my
dataframe I wanted to using the following

plot(spectra.wavelength, cormat, type = "l", ylim=c(-1,1), xlab="Wavelength
(nm)", ylab="Correlation")

however even if I specify as type="l" it appears plot as points (right hand
plot). If I specify a range such as

plot(650:700, cormat, type = "l", ylim=c(-1,1), xlab="Wavelength (nm)",
ylab="Correlation")

it looks good (left hand plot). If I try something like:

plot(spectra.wavelength[1]:spectra.wavelength[length(spectra.wavelength)],
cormat, type = "l", ylim=c(-1,1), xlab="Wavelength (nm)",
ylab="Correlation")

it fails with "variable lengths differ" and when I look at
spectra.wavelength[1] it gives me the value but then states there are 53
levels.

What does this mean and how can I get the result I want??!

many thanks

mike