[R] analysis of circular data with mixed models???

Steven Van Wilgenburg slv511 at mail.usask.ca
Fri May 15 16:57:13 CEST 2009

Hi.

I am trying to model data on movements (direction) of birds and the
response variables are compass directions (0 to 360).

I have found two packages CircStats and Circular that can implement
linear models for a circular response, which will do what I need for
the data set I am currently working on (modeling movements for only 1
species).

However, in the near future, I would like to extend my modeling by
including multiple species, and treating each species as a random
effect. It appears that analysis of circular data using a mixed model
approach is possible (see the text Statistical Analysis of Circular
Data, Fisher 1996); however, does anyone know of a package in R that
implements mixed models for circular data?

Cheers

-Steve