[R] error using lapply with oneway_test (coin package)

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Thu May 7 16:35:27 CEST 2009

> That's a scoping problem, I think a bug in oneway_test.  Because the formula
> var ~ group is created with the anonymous function within lapply, its
> environment should be the evaluation frame of that function call and var
> should be visible.  If I replace oneway_test() with lm() it works.
>
> I think a workaround is to construct the data argument explicitly, i.e.
>
> lapply(y, function(var) oneway_test(var ~ group, data.frame(var=var,
> group=group)))

yes, that would be the fix:

R> lapply(y, function(var) oneway_test(var ~ group,
           data = data.frame(var = var, group = group)))
$V1

 	Asymptotic 2-Sample Permutation Test

data:  var by group (1, 2)
Z = -1.2054, p-value = 0.2280
alternative hypothesis: true mu is not equal to 0

$V2

 	Asymptotic 2-Sample Permutation Test

data:  var by group (1, 2)
Z = 0.5672, p-value = 0.5706
alternative hypothesis: true mu is not equal to 0

Thanks, Duncan.

Torsten