[R] Dynamic visualisation of R data using Adobe FLEX

Yihui Xie xieyihui at gmail.com
Sat May 2 09:07:07 CEST 2009

Hi Harsh,

If your project is so specific on the regression model, my suggestion
is to use tcl/tk or Gtk2 interface instead of FLEX, because your
requirement on interaction is simple (e.g. you don't need to
drag-and-drop points).

I think the example 'run.cor2.examp()' in 'TeachingDemos' package can
give you enough inspiration.

Or if you want to do the job (to change the slope) automatically, you
may want to see the example in the 'animation' package:

##
install.packages("animation")
library(animation)

# default animation in R: with slope changing
least.squares()

# animation in an HTML page
oopt = ani.options(ani.height = 450, ani.width = 600,
    outdir = tempdir(), nmax = 50, title = "Demonstration of Least Squares",
    description = "We want to find an estimate for the slope
         in 50 candidate slopes, so we just compute the RSS one by one. ")
ani.start()
par(mar = c(4, 4, 0.5, 0.1), mgp = c(2, 0.5, 0), tcl = -0.3)
least.squares()
ani.stop()
ani.options(oopt)
##

P. S. I'm quite interested in interactive visualization using R and
Flash (you may also want to know Flare and SWF Tools!), so please let
me know if there's any progress in your project.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>
Phone: +86-(0)10-82509086 Fax: +86-(0)10-82509086