[R] combine column names

SEUNG CHEON HONG sch at entomology.wisc.edu
Fri May 1 20:55:32 CEST 2009

Dear R-list,

Is there any way I can extract part or whole column name from two
variables and combine them? Not values, but column names.
For example,
I have data set with 70 variables. The column names are "Alfalfa",
"Corn","Soybean",..."Sunflower". After I combine the two variable (say
Alfalfa and Corn), I want to rename it as "AlfCor" or "AlfalfaCorn"
automatically not manually.

In excel, I found the function combining two texts in individual
columns using (=A1&B1, if you want to combine texts in the two cells.).

Thank you very much in advance!

Steve Hong

437 RUSSELL LAB.
1630 LINDEN DR.