[R] Odp: error statement: missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Mar 24 15:52:15 CET 2009

Hi

r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 23.03.2009 15:38:49:

> Hi list,
>
> I want to try Gibbs sampling as a method of estimating a
markov-switching
> model of a mean-deviating, pth-order autoregressive process with time
> varying transition probabilities via R and am using a code originally
> written by another person; I attach the useful pdf document explaining
the
> code. When I run the code, I get an error message:
>
> Error in if (r < vQ[i]) { : missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
>
> I am using R.2.6.0 on Windows XP. Can anyone tell me what the error
message
> means?

The error message means that there is missing value instead of logical
when you are calling if

> a<-NA
> b<-1
> a<b
[1] NA
> if(a<b) print("No.way")
Error in if (a < b) print("No.way") :
  missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
> a<-0
> if(a<b) print("No.way")
[1] "No.way"

So test r and vQ if they contain missing values or change your code

Besides, it looks like code written in Basic not in R

Few other comments

* read.table() already produce data frame

* This is really strange, I did not see such construction yet

> mG0 <-rbind(cbind(100,0,0,0), cbind(0,100,0,0), cbind(0,0,100,0),
cbind(0,0,0,100))

what about

> x<-matrix(0, 4,4)
> diag(x)<-100
[1,]  100    0    0    0
[2,]    0  100    0    0
[3,]    0    0  100    0
[4,]    0    0    0  100

* Better upgrade to 2.8.1, or maybe wait about a month for 2.9.0

* I do not think that somebody will go through whole your code, it is
terribly complicated.

Regards
Petr