[R] License question

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Mar 18 17:06:17 CET 2009

On 3/18/2009 11:16 AM, David Haykazyan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Our company is interested of using R in our project. We want to have an
> optional module in our product which calls R functions (using its API).
> However we do not distribute R and the users who wish to use that module
> have to install and configure R themselves. The module that contains calls
> to R comes with free source code. The product is not free itself and no
> source code is provided for other components (which do not use R). Does your
> license allow us to do this?

R is as a whole licensed under the GPL version 2 (with a few parts
licensed differently; see RHOME/doc/COPYRIGHT for details).  There are
many copyright holders, and asking in a mailing list like this will not
contact all of them.  In fact, as far as I know, there is no easy way to
contact all of them.  You are going to have to rely on your own legal
advice about whether your usage is GPL compatible, because if it is not,
you are unlikely to be able to negotiate an exception.

Duncan Murdoch