[R] R multiline expression grief

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Fri Mar 13 14:20:41 CET 2009

Paul Suckling wrote:

<...>
> # R-script...
>
> r_parse_error <- function ()
> {

<...>

>   f <- a
>     + b
>     + c;
> }

<...>
> f 1
>
> As far as I am concerned f should have the value 3.

as far as you intend, perhaps.  note, the above snippet says:

    f <- a; +b; +c

not

    f <- a + b + c

> This is causing me endless problems since case f is our house style
> for breaking up expressions for readability. All our code will need to
> be rechecked as a result. Is this behaviour a bug?

clearly not.  and it's hardly idiosyncratic to r.  you'd have the same
behaviour in, e.g., python, though there you can explicitly demand that
the lines form a single statement by ending the first two with a
backslash.  there have been similar discussions on mailing lists of a
number of programming/scripting languages.

> If not, is it
> possible to get R to generate a warning that several lines of an
> expression are potentially being ignored,

they're not ignored!  you demand to compute +b and +c, and it's
certainly done.  (i don't think r is smart enough to optimize these away).

> perhaps by turning on a
> strict mode which requires the semi-colons?

that's an idea, but the proposed solution would have to be optional to
avoid annoying those who don't like semiquotes in r code.

vQ