[R] R on netbooks et al?

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 08:57:23 CET 2009

Hi,

For what it's worth, it's a trivial operation to replace the on-board
1Gb with a 2Gb module, which doesn't cost too much. Okay, being a bit
demanding I also replaced the hard-disk with a 320 Gb one to harbour a
dual boot ubuntu-eee / windows XP. But that does give a machine which
is a worthy replacement of the once state-of-the art Acer Travelmate
800 I used to have. I happily run R and even virtual machines using
VMWare. Truth be told, it being a netbook, you may want to rely on and
connect to external computational resources for the real heavy stuff.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.
Junior UD (post-doc)