[R] Roxygen vs Sweave for S4 documentation

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 22 14:12:23 CEST 2009

    TobiasV> Hi Ken,
    >> I have been using R for a while.  Recently, I have begun converting my
    >> package into S4 classes.  I was previously using Rdoc for documentation.
    >> Now, I am looking to use the best tool for S4 documentation.  It seems that
    >> the best choices for me are Roxygen and Sweave (I am fine with tex).
    >>
    >> Are there any users of Roxygen or Sweave who can comment on the strengths or
    >> weaknesses of one or othe other?  Thanks in advance.

    TobiasV> For the moment proper documentation of S4 classes (with a @slot tag
    TobiasV> e.g.) is not implemented yet,

how did you define "proper" here?

I know that the result of  promptClass()  may not always be
perfect. As most things are not perfect,
I would not quickly call this improper ...

Or is using *.Rd  not proper for you,
as it does not have all of code + docs in one file?

Regards,
Martin

    TobiasV> but my secret hope is that this will
    TobiasV> be implemented before Peter and Manuel (in cc) will present Roxygen
    TobiasV> at DSC2009. Maybe they have further comments ?

    TobiasV> Kind regards,
    TobiasV> Tobias