[R] Testing memory limits in R??

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Jul 6 23:01:12 CEST 2009

On Jul 6, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:

> You could probably just make a big array and watch "top" usage -- a
> 5gb array would do the trick -- if you can break 4gb you are golden.
> big_vector=c(1:1000000) and keep adding zeroes...

Except the maximum size for a vector (and I wonder also for an array?)
is 2 GB.

?"Memory-limits"

On a 10GB equipped machine (MacOSX with the 64 bit R 2.9.1)  I get this
 > big_vector=c(1:2500000000)
Error in 1:2.5e+09 : result would be too long a vector

And that is not because of lack of machine resources. You will need to
create a sizeable number (say 25) of 2 GB "big_vectors" to carry our
this suggestion.

--
DW

--j