[R] New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Jan 8 02:20:54 CET 2009

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Bill.Venables at csiro.au wrote:

> But wait, there's more...  The bit I think deserves a fortunes listing
> is the SAS jibe:

Yep, both added to the devel-version on R-Forge (fortunes 222 and 223).
Additionally, there is

R> fortune(224)

It's interesting that SAS Institute feels that non-peer-reviewed software
with hidden implementations of analytic methods that cannot be reproduced
by others should be trusted when building aircraft engines.
    -- Frank Harrell (in response to the statement of the SAS director of
       technology product marketing: "We have customers who build engines
       for aircraft. I am happy they are not using freeware when I get on a
       jet.")
       R-help (January 2009)

grx,