[R] Problem about SARMA model forcasting

Gerard M. Keogh GMKeogh at justice.ie
Tue Feb 3 11:59:58 CET 2009

Saji,

This may help.

Your model is

(1,0,1)X(0,1,1)S

giving difference polynomials

nonseasonal (1,0,1) = (1-ar1*B)   =  (1-ma1*B)
seasonal (0,1,1)S   = (1-B**S)    =  (1-sma1*B**S)

giving:  (1-ar1*B)X(1-B**S) x_t = (1-ma1*B)X(1-sma1*B**S) a_t

multiplying out:

         x_t - x_(t-S) - ar1*x_(t-1) + ar1*x_(t-S-1) = a_t - ma1*a_(t-1) -
sma1*a_(t-S) + ma1*sma1*a_(t-S-1)

or

         x_t =  x_(t-S) + ar1*x_(t-1) - ar1*x_(t-S-1) + a_t - ma1*a_(t-1) -
sma1*a_(t-S) + ma1*sma1*a_(t-S-1)

Hopefully I've multiplied all the bits out correctly and I think R uses
this (Box-Jenkins) form for ARIMA models.

Gerard

             刘人润
             <saji_ren at hotmail
             Sent by:                  <r-help at r-project.org>
             r-help-bounces at r-                                          cc
             project.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [R] Problem about SARMA model
             03/02/2009 10:22          forcasting

Hello, Guys:
I'm from China, my English is poor and I'm new to R. The first message I
sent to R help meets some problems, so I send again.
Hope that I can get useful suggestions from you warm-hearted guys.
Thanks.

I builded a multiplicative seasonal ARMA model to a series named
"cDownRange".
And the order is (1,1)*(0,1)45
The regular AR=1; regular MA=1; seasonal AR=0; seasonal MA=1; seasonal
period=45.
I fitted the model in R and get the result as below:
Call:arima(x = cDownRange, order = c(1, 0, 1), seasonal = list(order = c(0,
1, 1), period = 45))
Coefficients:
    ar1      ma1     sma1
    0.7364  -0.5046  -0.9511
s.e.    0.0458   0.0594   0.0130
When I use the predict command of this model in R, it gives the right
forcasting.

So I think the forcast formula of this SARMA model should be written as
below:
X(t)=ar1*X(t-1)-ma1*a(t-1)-sma1*a(t-45)+ma1*sma1*a(t-46)

But when I use this forcast formula in Excel, it gives a totally different
predict from R. And I don't know why?
I guess the expression of the forcast formula of this SARMA(1,1)*(0,1)45 is
wrong, but I don't know the right form.
Can anybody help me with this?Thank, again!

saji from Shanghai

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  It is the policy of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform and the Agencies and Offices using its IT services to disallow the sending of offensive material.
Should you consider that the material contained in this message is offensive you should contact the sender immediately and also mailminder[at]justice.ie.

Is le haghaidh an duine nó an eintitis ar a bhfuil sí dírithe, agus le haghaidh an duine nó an eintitis sin amháin, a bheartaítear an fhaisnéis a tarchuireadh agus féadfaidh sé go bhfuil ábhar faoi rún agus/nó faoi phribhléid inti. Toirmisctear aon athbhreithniú, atarchur nó leathadh a dhéanamh ar an bhfaisnéis seo, aon úsáid eile a bhaint aisti nó aon ghníomh a dhéanamh ar a hiontaoibh, ag daoine nó ag eintitis seachas an faighteoir beartaithe. Má fuair tú é seo trí dhearmad, téigh i dteagmháil leis an seoltóir, le do thoil, agus scrios an t-ábhar as aon ríomhaire. Is é beartas na Roinne Dlí agus Cirt, Comhionannais agus Athchóirithe Dlí, agus na nOifígí agus na nGníomhaireachtaí a úsáideann seirbhísí TF na Roinne, seoladh ábhair cholúil a dhícheadú.
Más rud é go measann tú gur ábhar colúil atá san ábhar atá sa teachtaireacht seo is ceart duit dul i dteagmháil leis an seoltóir láithreach agus le mailminder[ag]justice.ie chomh maith.