[R] [R-pkgs] survey package (3.18)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Dec 10 20:04:06 CET 2009

On Dec 10, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Brad Fulton wrote:

> Does the survey package have a function similar to prop.test() Or is
> there a
> way to use svyciprop() to perform a Chi-square test to see if the
> difference
> in proportions is significant?

That would only give you CIs around the separate proportions and you
want a CI around the difference (or odds ratio).

> I'm comparing liberal congregations with conservative congregations
> in their
> sponsorship of HIV/AIDS programs.  I want to test whether the
> proportion of
> liberal congregations sponsoring a program is significantly
> different from
> the proportion of conservative congregations sponsoring a program.

I would have thought that one of the other methods in that package
would have been chosen:

svyglm                  Survey-weighted generalised linear models.
svychisq                Tests for two-way tables

  ..setting up a logistic regression model (or what should be an
comparable test with svychisq if no covariates are used)  with
sponsorship as the l.h.s. outcome and liberal/conservative as a factor
on the r.h.s. of the formula.

--
David.