[R] Coding problem: How can I extract substring of function callwithin the function

Thu Aug 13 23:55:35 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Aug 13, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Pitt, Joel wrote:

> Thanks. It's a great solution to part of my problem. It provides the
> functionally I want would be no harder for students to use than my
> approach. I'm still interested in how to make what I was trying to
> do work -- simply to add to my own R programming proficiency.

I wasn't going to really chime in, but I couldn't help it given the
irony in your last sentence (sorry, I don't mean to sound like an ass).

I think trying to help your students with some "bumps on the road" is
admirable, but this seems just a bit misdirected. As you say, you are
on a quest to add to your R programming proficiency, and will apply
this newly founded technique to actively handicap your students'
proficiency.

I guess you're teaching some intro stat analysis class, and waving
over the fact that functions like mean explicitly return NA in the
presence of NA's, but this is important to know and recognize when
analyzing any real data, because there will surely be NA's "in the
wild." Knowing that you should consciously and deliberately deal with/
ignore them from the start might be a good first/early lesson for
students to digest.

Like I said, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I think glossing
over details of working with data should be avoided. Your other
additions, like adding options to plotting/graphing functions, seem
less harmful to me. But if you're trampling over some base:: function
for something trivial like changing the value of one default parameter
to something else, you might as well just get them to learn how to use
the ?<function_name> asap as well.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou