[R] Installing package for i386

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Aug 3 22:59:17 CEST 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Sarah Hawley wrote:

> I am trying to install a package from a collaborator that was given
> to me as
> a zip file.
> I'm running R 2.9.0 using Mac OSX 10.5.7
> [R.app GUI 1.28 (5395) i386-apple-darwin8.11.1]
>
> foo.zip contains all the usual package directories (man, R, R-ex, etc)
> After unzipping foo, I used the following commands.
>
> $ R CMD INSTALL foo
> * Installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
> library’
> * Installing *binary* package ‘foo’ ...
> * DONE (foo)
>
> I open the R GUI and type
>> library(foo)
> Error: package 'flsa' is not installed for 'arch=i386'
>
> I assume this error has something to do with my Linux architecture
> but I
> have no idea what is really going on.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
> Sarah

Sarah,

It looks like your colleague gave you a Windows binary version of the
package. You cannot just unzip it and install it as such. The ZIP file
would be the result of running 'R CMD build foo' on the package source
tree on Windows, which does more than just archive the files in the
package tree.

This has nothing to do with Linux BTW, as Mac OSX is a BSD Unix
derivative, not Linux, albeit they are cousins of a sort...  :-)

Can your colleague provide you with just the actual source files in a
tar or zip file without running R CMD build foo? If so, you can at
least transfer the source files to your Mac and possibly build the
package there for installation. This process will also be less
complicated if the package only contains R code and no C or FORTRAN
code.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz