[R] Multiple Hexbinplots in 2 columns with a Single Categorical Variable

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Apr 10 02:07:25 CEST 2009

Hi

Does this do it ... ?

useOuterStrips(hexbinplot(Transferin ~ Age | factor(Race) + factor(Sex),
                           data=NHANES, type="r",
                           aspect=1,
                           scales=
                           list(x=list(relation="free", rot=0,
                                  at=list(TRUE, TRUE, NULL, NULL)),
                                y=list(relation="free", rot=0,
                                  at=list(TRUE, NULL, TRUE, NULL))),
                           par.settings=
                           list(layout.heights=list(axis.panel=c(1, 0)),
                                layout.widths=list(axis.panel=c(1, 0)),
                                par.strip.text=list(cex=1))))

In this example, the 'relation="free"' is not doing much, so a simpler
version would be just ...

useOuterStrips(hexbinplot(Transferin ~ Age | factor(Race) + factor(Sex),
                           data = NHANES, type = "r",
                           aspect = 1,
                           scales = list(alternating=1, tck=c(1, 0))))

... but it sounds like that might not be appropriate for your real problem.

Paul

Dr Stuart Reece wrote:
> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>

> I have a fairly large database (N=13,000) and a single main categorical
> discriminator between the groups.
>

> I want to look at the time course of a number of continuous biochemical
> variables over chronologic age.
>

> Therefore I believe I need to prepare hexbinplots in two columns with simple
> regression lines in them (with useOuterStrips (in library(latticeExtra) if
> possible) and also single hexbinplots with two regression lines
> (panel.lmlines) corresponding to the two groups to facilitate data
> comparison.
>

> Tick marks and labels should be off in most panels, and the scale in each
> row will be different.
>

> I have some code written for the NHANES dataset in library(hexbin) which
> almost does this job, but leaves blank paper up the middle of the two
> columns of panels.
>

> I have been exploring lattice for this which almost gets me there but not
> quite.
>

> The code I have written is as follows.
>

> I would be ever so grateful for any advice anyone may be able to offer.
>

> With best wishes,
>

> Stuart Reece,
>
> Australia.
>

> useOuterStrips(hexbinplot(Transferin ~ Age | factor(Race) + factor(Sex),
> data = NHANES, type = "r",
>
>            aspect = 1,
>
>            scales =
>
>            list(x =
>
>                  list(relation = "free", rot = 0,
>
>                  at=list(TRUE, TRUE, NULL, NULL)),
>
>                 y =
>
>                  list(relation = "free", rot = 0,
>
>                  at=list(TRUE, NULL, TRUE, NULL))),
>
>        par.settings =
>        list(layout.heights = list(axis.panel = rep(c(1, 0),c(1, 1)))),
>        par.strip.text = list(cex = 1)))
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics