[R] Bootstrap

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Wed Oct 22 02:31:26 CEST 2008

Two data frames, data.x and data.y with one random variable and one
identifier variable each. Two methods to merge them, one the "brute force"
approach, the other using R's merge() function:

data.x=data.frame(rnorm(100,0,1),1:100)
##data.x is already orderer by id

names(data.x)=c("x","x.id")

data.y=data.frame(rnorm(100,0,1),sample(1:100,replace=F))
##data.y is not ordered by id

names(data.y)=c("y","y.id")

##order y by id
data.y.new=data.y[order(data.y$y.id),]

##after ordering y, just bind the datasets together
merged.data1=data.frame(data.x,data.y.new)
merged.data1
##This works only if the identifier variable is unique

##more elegant solution to merge datasets by merge()
merged.data2=merge(data.x,data.y,by.x="x.id",by.y="y.id")
merged.data2
##This also works if identifier is not unique

Cheers,
Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus