[R] Plotting a Quadratic...

Ryan Harrigan iluvsa at ucla.edu
Thu May 22 19:34:53 CEST 2008

I have an equation describing the best-fit model for a set of points (just 2
axes) that is in the form:

y=b+mx+px^2

Where b is the intercept, m is the slope describing a linear term, and p is
a slope of the quadratic term.

I would like to plot this equation on a curve (I know the equation is
y=(.1766x^2)+(.171x)+.101) on the original scatterplot. Any easy way to plot
this equation and preferably with a prediction interval around the line?

I have tried the lines() and predict() commands, using the linear model to
plot, but get very whacky results. abline works great but does not include
the quadratic term.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated,

Ryan Harigan

--
Ryan Harrigan, Ph.D.
Center for Tropical Research