[R] Saving Chinese text in Quartz

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 09:20:23 CET 2008

Which version of R is this? -- there are two completely different quartz()
devices.   (Please remember to supply the 'at a minimum' information the
posting guide asked for.)  You haven't even told us your OS, but we can
deduce that this is some version of Mac OS X.

You would do better to ask on the R-sig-MAC list with a reproducible
example.  But first try opening the file in another reader (like the
native Mac OS X one), as I suspect the issue is that the fonts used by
Quartz are not embedded and so not known to Acrobat (in which case this is
not an R issue at all).

You should be able to use R's cross-platform pdf() device, but you may
need to specify a suitable font family for (traditional, presumably in
Taiwan) Chinese.  See the R News article (2006/2).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk