[R] Attempting to connect to an Empress RDBMS via RODBC 1.2-3 causes R 2.6.2.pat to segfault

Michael Manning michael.manning at niwa.co.nz
Mon Mar 3 06:05:59 CET 2008

Hi

I've experienced some unpleasant behaviour while attempting to connect to an Empress 8.6.2 RDBMS via RODBC 1.2-3 and a freshly minted R 2.6.2.pat on a SLED linux system where a call to odbcConnect() to initiate the odbc connection causes R 2.6.2.pat to segfault.

The odbcConnect call is

CHANNEL <- odbcConnect("myEmpressDB", uid="myusername", pwd="mysecurepassword", believeNRows=FALSE)

where "myEmpressDB" is an apparently correctly configured ODBC datasource pointing at the Empress RDBMS I wish to access on my system. The R version data for my system are

platform       i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch           i686
os             linux-gnu
system         i686, linux-gnu
status         Patched
major          2
minor          6.2
year           2008
month          03
day            02
svn rev        44661
language       R
version.string R version 2.6.2 Patched (2008-03-02 r44661)

All a bit surprising (to me, at least) as: (i) testing connections to the Empress datasource with isql on my SLED linux system is successful, suggesting to me that the Empress driver and the datasource are correctly configured; (ii) I am able to successfully initiate a connection to a non-Empress odbc datasource (postgres and mysql databases) on my SLED linux system within R and to send and retrieve data from these; and (iii) an analogous setup (R, Empress odbc driver, datasource,...) on a windows XP system that I have access to works flawlessly.

Any suggestions about how to proceed?

Thanks muchly,

Michael

               _