[R] Decision Trees RWeka

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Jun 17 18:30:07 CEST 2008

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, strinz at freenet.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I have a question concerning decision
>  trees coming from RWeka :
>
>  library(RWeka)
>  m 	=J48(Species~.,data=iris)
>
>  How could such a decision tree be transferred
>  into a matrix, pretty much in the same fashion,
>  as it is done by getTree() in library(ofw)
>
>  library(ofw)
>  data(srbct)
>  attach(srbct)
>  ##ofwCART
>  learn.cart.keep <- ofw(srbct, as.factor(class),type="CART", ntree=50, nforest=10, mtry=5)
>  getTree(learn.cart.keep, k=3)
>  detach(srbct)
>
>  It would be very convenient to have
>  a Weka Decision Tree object  represented
>  in matrix form or in y common binary tree format

Sure, that would be nice. However, we do not have a full R-representation
of Weka_tree objects as we rely for almost all computations on the
corresponding methods from Weka. For plotting we do some parsing of the
representation (based on the DOT graph representation). Have a look at the
output of
   RWeka:::make_Weka_classifier_tree(m)

hth,

  Weka_tree objects is that RWeka
relies for almost all computations on the corresponding Weka methods and
thus doesn't