[R] parsing - input buffer overflow

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Fri Jun 13 10:02:56 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am trying to parse a large amount of text using gregexpr(). Unfortunately,
I get an "input buffer overflow" message when I attempt that with too large
an amount of text. The error messages occurs before the parsing. The problem
is that I cannot assign the text to a variable (an object) if the text is
too large.

This problem has been mentioned before, which I found using the RSiteSearch.
However, the post is from 2006, and I thought it might have improved by now.
Is there any way to increase the limit or to get around this problem?

x="Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Helena, Clipperton Island,
Tristan da Cunha"

#What I want to achieve is to parse the text for the number of occurrences
of a certain character string within the text.

#This is done using:

n=100 #choose n large enough
length(which(is.na(gregexpr("Saint",x,ignore.case=TRUE)[[1]][1:n])==FALSE))

But again, if the text is large, I cannot assign it to x. I'd be grateful
for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Daniel