[R] lsmeans

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Jun 7 22:02:31 CEST 2008

Dear Dieter,

I don't know whether I qualify as a "master," but here's my brief take on
the subject: First, I dislike the term "least-squares means," which seems to
me like nonsense. Second, what I prefer to call "effect displays" are just
judiciously chosen regions of the response surface of a model, meant to
clarify effects in complex models. For example, a two-way interaction is
displayed by absorbing the constant and main-effect terms in the interaction
(more generally, absorbing terms marginal to a particular term) and setting
other terms to typical values. A table or graph of the resulting fitted
values is, I would argue, easier to grasp than the coefficients, the
interpretation of which can entail complicated mental arithmetic.

Regards,
 John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology