[R] Cholmod error `matrix not positive definite'

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 14 22:14:04 CET 2008

Could you tell us which version of the lme4 package you are using?
You can just send the output produced by

sessionInfo()

If you can make your data available so we can test it then please do
so.  If the data set is large you could send it to me in private email
and I will make it available on a web site.

I think that the development version of the lme4 package, available via

install.packages("lme4", repos = "http://r-forge.r-project.org")

should be resistant to that type of error but I am willing to be shown
otherwise.