[R] Using R in a university course: dealing with proposal comments

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Mon Feb 11 05:27:39 CET 2008

Comment 1 raises a real issue.  R is just a tool.  Too often people do
confuse the tool with the real skill that the people who use it should
have.  There are plenty of questions on R-help that demonstrate this
confusion.  It's well worth keeping in mind and acting upon if you can
see a problem emerging, but I would not take it quite at face value and
abandon R on those grounds.

Comment 2 is one of those comments that belongs to a very particular
period of time, one that passes as we look on.  It reminds me of the
time I tried to introduce some new software into my courses, (back in
the days when I was a teacher, long, long ago...).  The students took to
it like ducks to water, but my colleagues on the staff were very slow to
adapt, and some never did.  Also, R wins every time on price!

Bill Venables
CSIRO Laboratories
PO Box 120, Cleveland, 4163
AUSTRALIA
Office Phone (email preferred): +61 7 3826 7251
Fax (if absolutely necessary):  +61 7 3826 7304
Mobile:                         +61 4 8819 4402
Home Phone:                     +61 7 3286 7700
mailto:Bill.Venables at csiro.au
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/